We’ve signed our lease!
We’ve just signed our lease with @BAHCLT and our house at SEASALT housing co-op is now official! *Cue the music*. This means that we can now look forward to welcoming our students in September 2021 and a long term partnership with BHCLT – building a co-operative economy across Brighton and Hove.
How does it work?
• Brighton and Hove Community Land Trust (BHCLT) helped us buy our first house and will lease it to us on a long term basis.
• Initially 7 years with automatic renewal – our co-op is here to stay!
• Partial repairing lease – we take on a lot (but not all) of the responsibilities.
• We have drafted our own policies and rules.
• See our other series and media for more information.
What does this mean?
• Our house has been bought and SEASALT Housing Co-op is now official!
• We can now start providing democratic, affordable and sustainable housing to students in Brighton.
• This means we can start building our local co-operative/progressive economy.
• Apply now to live in our house for 2021!
We would like to place on record our thanks to all our amazing members and the inspiring people at BHCLT who have put hundreds if not thousands of hours of work into finally getting our project off the ground. When we started back in 2018, the vision of building a student housing co-operative and the beginnings of a progressive economy in Brighton were just a small dream of 2 young students. 3 years later, and not only do we have our very first house but we’re only just getting started!
Follow us over the next couple of weeks as we talk about how we’re planning to be a force for good in our local community. A change from the traditional landlord and letting agent financialised model of student housing. We’ve got our press release coming on Friday so please help us out by sharing that as much as possible. We’ve made the headlines before in The Argus, The BBC, Novara Media and at talks across the country – we know we can continue this.
The future is ours it would seem. The future could be yours too.
Thank you and stay safe x